Not many people think about or often remember that their dishwasher needs cleaning too; after all, it’s the one responsible for cleaning the dishes so naturally, it should stay clean right? But you should also ask yourself what happens to the dirt coming from the dishes, pots, and pans it cleans?
Although it’s true that all food debris goes into a special filter that holds all this until you have to clean and take it away, the dirt, grime, and grease builds up not only in the major filter but around your dishwasher too. You may not think that it does anything wrong to your dishwasher, except make it gross, but what you don’t know is that it affects the overall performance of the dishwasher.
Not only those, but dishwashers that are unclean are known to harbor fungus along with bad odors that may affect your dishware. This is especially the case if you aren’t the type of user who rinses the plates before putting them on the washer. Because cleaning the dishwasher and the filter vital to keeping a healthy environment, we have listed ways for you to do so.
What is the step-by-step procedure for cleaning and replacing a dishwasher filter?
Before you go on ahead and dig your dishwasher to find the filter, we recommend cleaning every bit of the dishwasher first. See below for the end-to-end procedure:
Procedure for cleaning the dishwasher interior:
- Unplug the dishwasher from its electric source and take out all the racks and other removable items inside the dishwasher. If you can disassemble the big racks, do so.
- Create a pool in your sink containing a dishwasher cleaning product or vinegar. You can also add lemon juice, but it’s a bit costly.
- Soak the racks and dishwasher bits into the pool you have created and leave them there for about 30 minutes or until you have finished doing the next step.
- Wipe the dishwasher all over, starting from the doors, the floors, the walls, and then to the gasket. There are spots in the dishwasher that don’t get splashed with water so you can expect some build-up in there. Use a damp cloth to wipe the area so the build-up will easily come off.
- Use bleach or spray cleaners to remove mildew or mold in the dishwasher. Remember to avoid using bleach and detergents if your dishwasher has a stainless steel interior.
- Also check the holes found spinning arms as debris might be stuck in it. Ensure that there’s nothing clogging the holes because it is needed for the dishwasher to run efficiently. You may use pointy objects to pick the dirt or debris out.
- Clean the racks and dishwasher items soaked in your solution, and then let them dry and set aside to prepare for replacing back inside the dishwasher.
Procedure for cleaning the dishwasher filter:
- The filter is found at the very bottom of the dishwasher. To access it, you will need screw drivers to unscrew it easily. Remember, each brand is different; you may want to check the manual of your dishwasher or check online to know the exact location of the filter.
LG Electronics ADQ32598202 6026050 Dishwasher Mesh Filter Assembly
- LG Electronics part number ADQ32598202
- 6026050 Dishwasher Mesh Filter Assembly
- For use of some LG Electronics models
- After removing this main cover, you’ll find two kinds of filters underneath; the “coarse” and “fine” filter. The first filter is responsible for trapping pieces of food while the second filter is responsible for trapping any particles from the water used in the cleaning cycle.
- Take out these filters and gently scrub them using a soft unused toothbrush. You may also want to soak it, along with the other removable parts, into the solution you made earlier.
- Wipe the area where you had taken out the filter with a soft damp cloth to remove any stains and grimes.
- Rinse and dry the filters and other parts you have taken out and put them back to their original location, piece by piece. Screw the base and replace all the racks and dishwasher parts you have taken out earlier.
- If you need to replace the filter, get something made or sold by your dishwasher’s manufacturer, such as:
PRIMA Dishwasher Filter
- This part is compatible with models including; MDB7601AWW41,MDB6759AWW0,MDC4650AWW,ADB2500AWB,MDBH955AWQ1,MDBH955AWQ2,MDBH955AWQ0,MDBH955AWQ3,ADB2500AWW,ADB2500AWQ,MDC4650AWB,ADB2500AWS,ADB1500AWS10,JDB1050AWQ,JDB1050AWS,JDB1050AWW,MDB6759AWW2,MDB6759AWW1,JDB1050AWB,MDB6759AWW3,ADB3500AWS0,ADB3500AWS1,MDBH965AWS41,MDBH965AWS40,MDBH955AWS0,MDBH955AWS3,MDBH955AWS1,MDBH955AWS2,CDU650AWW,JDB2100AWB,JDB2100AWS,MDBH980AWS1,JDB1255AWW2,JDB1255AWW0,JDB1255AWW1,CDB1500AWB2,JDB2150AWP0,CDB1500AWB1
- This is a manufacturer substitution. Part may differ in appearance but is a functional equivalent to prior parts including; W10192799,99002661,99003236,99003291,W10142622,W10142623,99003292,99003085,99003235,W10192800
- Genuine Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) part. Compatible Brands: Maytag,Amana,Magic Chef,Crosley,Admiral
Key Takeaway: It is important to take some time cleaning your dishwasher. It is recommended to clean the interior of the dishwasher at least once a month, while you can clean the filters and its surroundings once or twice every six months, depending on how heavily you use it.
What are they ways to maintain a clean filter and dishwasher?
- Periodically pour vinegar or baking soda onto the bottom of the dishwasher and run it empty. It not only cleans the entire dishwasher but it also deodorizes it. You can also soak the vinegar or baking soda on the bottom for an hour.
- Before putting the dirty dishware into the washer, make it a habit to rinse the plates, pans, and pots first. This is so that you can ease the cleaning process by softening or removing food scraps and grease.
- Don’t forget to wipe the front and the control panel of the dishwasher too to keep it clean and shiny-looking.
- When cleaning the filters, check around the area where it is put to ensure that there is no debris blocking it. If you can find anything stuck in there, make sure to remove it. If the filter mesh is has holes in it, replace it with something like the:
GENUINE Dishwasher MICRO FILTER MESH – BOSCH 427903
- General Electric (GENF0)
- This is a genuine replacement part
Key Takeaway: Keeping the dishwasher clean and maintained is a good way to prolong its life. You’re also maximizing the use you can get out of your dishwasher because it performs well when the filters are thoroughly clear.
Cleaning and replacing the dishwasher filter may sound like a boring and daunting task but you really need to do it once every while to keep your dishwasher in tip-top shape and good working condition. In the long run, you’ll find that it’s really worth it as it extends your dishwasher’s life.